- 8-13 inch Bottom fish (never thought I’d be happy to catch small fish)
- Pride of the West/flour, 1 Cup
- Salt, 3 Tbsp; garlic powder, 2 Tbsp; Blackening seasoning (as much seasoning as you like)
- Peanut oil
- Catch fish with VIP Outdoors. I promise I will catch you some big ones also.
- Remove guts, gills, and scales from fish. Pat fish dry with paper towel. You don’t want to start an early 4th of July party by dropping wet fish into a frying pan.
- Score both sides of fish. About 4 or 5 cuts.
- In a large plastic bowl with lid, mix Pride of the West and seasonings. After mixed drop in prepped fish. Close lid and shake, coating the fish with the seasoning mixture.
- Remove fish, shaking off excess flour. Set them aside.
- Fill 14 inch cast iron pan with 1 inch of peanut oil. Don’t lecture me about health. You only live once. If you do it right, once is enough. Heat to 350F.
- Drop in one fish at a time leaving space between them. Cook approximately 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove fish and place on a drain rack. Season with salt right away.
- Serve with: VIP Salsa Verde, VIP Wild Boar Drunken Beans and Spanish Style Rice.
Cookware: Camp Chef double burner, 14 inch Lodge Cast Iron skillet